ROSEVILLE, Calif. (KTXL) – A family is mourning this holiday season after their 11-year-old daughter died during a Thanksgiving trip to Hawaii.
“Usually, I could get it under control and this time, I just knew something was wrong,” said Karin Carpenter, Paige’s mother.
Paige had always had food allergies and was sensitive to things in the environment.
When her family arrived in Honolulu for Thanksgiving, she seemed happy and healthy.
“She was just lit up in excitement and she was so happy to be where we were,” Carpenter said.
After arriving, Paige went swimming with her younger sister, Violet.
Paige’s throat immediately started to swell and her breathing became labored.
“She looked at me and said, ‘I’m dying. I know I’m going to die because I can see the look on your face,’” Carpenter said.
The 11-year-old went into a coma before dying.
Carpenter says she is still not sure what caused Paige to have that violent of an allergic reaction.
Doctors have said anything from volcanic ash in the air to the temperature of the pool could have been a contributing factor.