Okla. City - Families living at Madison Village Apartments in Oklahoma City say they’ve been living in dangerous conditions for years.
Things got real scary there over the weekend after 15 year-old, Skyla Boone, took a big tumble.
She was at the apartment complex visiting her aunt, Ebony King.
“Very scared,” Skyla said. “You see how high that is.”
She was walking down the stairs in the breeze-way the top stair gave way.
“Right when I got on it the whole thing just broke and it collapsed, Skyla said.
She says she even did the splits.
In Your Corner reporter Scott Hines asked her what kept her from falling two stories onto the concrete floor.
“Basically how I’m built, not too skinny, not too big,” she said. “If it was a little kid, they would have got hurt, so I'm actually glad it was me.”
Her aunt, Ebony, says the stairs incident is one of many problems at the complex.
Her ceiling’s been falling in for months.
“Every time it rains, water comes in,” she said.
There are more problems in her bathroom.
Ebony took us outside to show us around the property.
The pool’s been closed for a long while.
There’s also a building that’s burned out.
It hasn't been touched in years.
We even covered the fire on Channel 4.
Ebony worries about the kids.
“Everywhere you look it's a hazard,” she said.
We talked to more families pleading for help, including a new mom on Section 8 and another woman whose air conditioning unit is broken.
We know the apartments are under new ownership and management.
Madison OK Partners LLC of Grand Junction, Colorado recently purchased the property for $5,000,000.
The company that manages the property is Tag Multi-family.
Jenni Ward is the Oklahoma Portfolio Manager.
She says they inherited all of the previous owner's problems and are working real hard to make repairs.
"We, at TAG, pride ourselves in providing a level of customer service that exceeds expectations. We truly care about each and every one our residents,” she said. “We are excited about the opportunity to provide quality affordable housing to our residents, and the upcoming renovations at Madison Village!"
Ward says securing and repairing the busted staircase is their number one priority.
We'll check back.