IYC team helps man try to reclaim stolen identity

In Your Corner
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Data pix.

Data pix.

OKLAHOMA CITY - All Charles Lee wants is an Oklahoma driver's license.

The state won't give him one, because of something Ronald Curt, a convicted felon, did more than two decades ago.

He stole Charles' identity and then racked up a string of felony convictions in Texas.

One of those crimes was a DUI.

“I owned a Chevy truck,” Charles said. “I've never owned a Chevy truck in my life.”

The DUI conviction is only part of the hold up in Oklahoma.

Oklahoma Highway Patrol spokesperson, Betsy Randolph, explains.

“The situation is this,” Randolph said. “He is suspended in the state of Illinois.”

Once upon a time Charles lived in Illinois and carried a driver's license from that state.

The same driver's license Ronald Curt stole back in the late 80's, then passed off as his own following his arrests in Texas.

When Illinois found out about the DUI, it suspended Charles' license even though Charles says he didn't commit the crime.

“I've never had a DUI in my life. I've never had a DWI,” Charles said. “I've never been in prison for anything.”

Unfortunately Charles' word will only get him so far.

State trooper Randolph says if he wants his new license he must first convince Illinois to reinstate his old one.

“If he gets to a place where they can't come to an understanding, he wants to bring in his stuff and see what we can do for him, that's great,” Randolph said. “But it would be a lot easier on all of us if he could get that stuff cleared up with Illinois prior to coming in.”

Charles, who's lived the majority of his adult life on the streets, doesn't wish to look in the rear view mirror any longer.

He said, “This is my home. This is where I'm from and now they're telling me I can't get an Oklahoma license because of all this.

Right now we continue to help Charles try to prove his innocence, working closely with authorities in Texas, Oklahoma and Illinois.

We plan to follow this thing through. Just as soon as we get things squared away, we'll let you know.

Reporting Identity Theft (via USA.gov)

Your wallet contains some of your most important personal items, from hard-earned money to credit cards and driver’s license. For an identity thief, your wallet offers a treasure trove of personal information. If your wallet is lost or stolen: If you suspect or become a victim of identity theft, follow these steps:

  • Report it to your financial institution. Call the phone number on your account statement or on the back of your credit or debit card.
  • Report the fraud to your local police immediately. Keep a copy of the police report, which will make it easier to prove your case to creditors and retailers.
  • Contact the credit-reporting bureaus and ask them to flag your account with a fraud alert, which asks merchants not to grant new credit without your approval.

If your identity has been stolen, you can use an ID Theft affidavit to report the theft to most of the parties involved. All three credit bureaus and many major creditors have agreed to accept the affidavit. You can download the ID theft affidavit or request a copy by calling toll-free 1-877-ID-THEFT (438-4338). You can also use this website to file a complaint with the FTC.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC Bureau

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Contact In Your Corner Team

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter