UNION, Iowa - In the summertime, many families choose to spend their days outdoors, exploring the wilderness.
However, experts are warning hikers to be on the lookout for a poisonous plant that could send you to the emergency room.
You probably know to avoid poison ivy, but a plant that is growing across the country is causing the Department of Natural Resources to warn hikers.
Wild Parsnip is a poisonous weed that grows in nearly all 50 states and looks like a dill plant or Queen Anne's lace.
Its yellow appearance can seem harmless, but when it comes in contact with skin and sunlight, it can cause a rash that is similar to severe burns.
The rash she developed sent her to the emergency room.
"It's a constant burning. It just bubbled up overnight," she said. "The oils sit on your skin, it's a constant burning and it eats away your skin."
If you come in contact with the weed, immediately rinse your skin with dishwashing soap and apply a wet compress or hydrocortisone cream.
Experts also suggest scrubbing under your nails with a brush to prevent spreading the rash.