John Hinckley, Jr., man who shot President Reagan, released from hospital


President Reagan had just finished a speech to the AFL-CIO at a Washington Hotel, stepped outside and is shown moments before assailant John Hinckley began shooting. This photo shows Secret Service agent Jerry Parr (white trench coat), Press Secretary James Brady, Reagan, White House aide Michael Deaver, Police Officer Thomas Delahanty (the officer standing near the umbrella), Secret Service Agent Timothy McCarthy (lighter blue suit and standing near limo).
Reagan, Brady, Delahanty, and McCarthy were all wounded.

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

John Hinckley Jr., the man who shot President Ronald Reagan in 1981, was released Saturday from a Washington psychiatric hospital.

A worker at St. Elizabeth’s Hospital told CNN he saw Hinckley leave the hospital grounds. Before departing, Hinckley walked around and got into a car with some people wishing him good luck, the worker said.

In July, a federal judge decided to grant Hinckley, 61, “full-time convalescent leave” from St. Elizabeth’s Hospital. The order allows him to live full-time with his mother in Williamsburg, Virginia, but still under certain restrictions.

“The very carefully considered decision by the court to release Mr. Hinckley based on the copious evidence by medical professionals and government expert witnesses should give great comfort to a concerned citizenry that the mental health system and the judicial system worked and worked well,” Hinckley’s longtime lawyer Barry William Levine said in a statement.

“People of good will should feel good about Mr. Hinckley’s recovery and wish him well.”

Doctors said Hinckley had recovered from the mental illness that drove him to shoot Reagan and three others outside the Washington Hilton in March 1981.

James Brady, the White House press secretary hit in the shooting, died in 2014 due to injuries from the assassination attempt.

Hinckley has slowly gained some freedoms since he was incarcerated. In 2003, he was allowed day visits with his family, and since then has been granted longer visits and now has been spending about 17 days a month with his mother.

He is not allowed to go near any member of the Reagan or Brady families, along with relatives of the Secret Service officer and the D.C. police officer wounded in the 1981 attempt, according to the court order. He also must volunteer or find work.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ
graphic of the Red Cross

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter