This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY – Sergeant Keith Sweeney shuffled into an Oklahoma County courthouse Wednesday afternoon in an orange jumpsuit and shackled in handcuffs.

The nine-year veteran of the Oklahoma City Police Department is charged with second-degree murder in connection with the November 15 death of Dustin Pigeon.

Pigeon had called 911 early that morning saying he wanted to kill himself.

Sweeney and two other officers responded to Pigeon’s home on S.W. 20th.

Dramatic body camera footage was released Tuesday afternoon showing the scene.

The other two officers arrived at Pigeon’s home first and were trying to de-escalate the situation, telling Pigeon to drop a lighter and lighter fluid he was holding in his hands.

One of those officers shot Pigeon with a bean bag.

Sweeney shot Pigeon five times with his weapon.

Afterwards, he would say he thought Pigeon was holding a knife.

Pigeon was pronounced dead on the scene.

On Tuesday, Oklahoma County District Attorney David Prater charged Sweeney with second-degree murder in the case.

A police investigation concluded the shooting was not justified.

Sweeney was arrested Tuesday morning on a traffic stop and booked into the county jail.

He was being held without bond, but his attorney requested the bond hearing.

Sweeney had close to a dozen people at the hearing ready to testify on his behalf.

He and his wife are active members of the Temple B’Nai Israel, and he’s also a member of the U.S. Navy.

“He’s very active in his church, his religion. We had several United States Navy personnel present, his family, his mother, his wife, family friends,” said Sweeney’s attorney, Gary James.

The judge decided it wasn’t necessary to hear from all those people, but he swore in Sweeney himself so Prater could ask him several questions about his passport, weapons in the home and family outside of the country.

“The judge did order that his weapons be surrendered, and his movement be restricted and that he surrender his passport,” Prater said.

Prater said he initially opposed setting any kind of bond.

“It’s a serious matter. A man who called for help was killed by a police officer, in this case, defendant Sweeney. And, I don’t take that lightly,” Prater said.

James said Sweeney is not a public safety or flight risk and his ties to the community are strong.

He said his client is very emotional and he’s just glad he’ll get to go home, for now.

“This man who has dedicated his life to police work, the United States Navy, his family, he’s deserving of a bond until a jury hears his case,” James said.

Sweeney will have a passive GPS monitor.

That means it won’t be actively monitored, and he won’t have boundaries he has to stay within.

But, if authorities want to look and see where he’s been, they’ll be able to do that.

Sweeney has not yet been arraigned on the second-degree murder charge.