UPDATE: 8/28/2023 8:42 AM
According to EMSA, Oklahoma City’s fourth medical heat alert as expired.
Officials say EMTs only responded to one heat-related illness call on Sunday, August 17.
UPDATE: 8/21/2023 8:42 AM
According to EMSA, medics responded to 10 heat-related illness calls and transported eight patients to nearby hospitals in the Oklahoma City area on Sunday, August 20.
In total over the weekend, EMSA has responded to 17 heat-related illness calls and transported 10 patients to nearby hospitals.
OKLAHOMA CITY (KFOR) – EMSA has issued yet another Medical Heat Alert on Sunday, August 20.
According to EMSA, medics responded to seven suspected heat-related illness calls in the Oklahoma City area Saturday, August 19.
EMSA says two patients were transported to nearby hospitals due to their symptoms.
Heat Safety Tips:
- Drink plenty of water or electrolyte replacement drinks several hours before being out in the summer heat
- Wear light-colored, loose-fitting clothing and a wide brimmed hat if working outdoors
- Take plenty of breaks in the shade
- No alcohol or caffeine
- If you do not have air conditioning, find a cooling station or public area with air conditioning during the day
- Don’t limit your air conditioning use
- Use the buddy system if working outdoors
- Check on elderly neighbors
- Keep a cell phone on you at all times when outdoors
EMSA issues a heat alert when paramedics respond to five or more heat-related illness calls in a 24-hour period.
EMSA’s Heat Alert will remain in effect until the temperatures or heat-related calls decrease significantly.
Oklahoma City cooling shelters
- Almonte Library, 2914 SW 59 St.
- Southern Oaks Library, 6900 S Walker
- Capitol Hill Library, 327 SW 27 St.
- Earlywine Park YMCA, 1801 S May Ave.
- Wright Library, 101 Exchange Ave.
- Homeless Alliance Day Shelter, 1724 NW Fourth St.
- Edward L. Gaylord Downtown YMCA, 1 NW Fourth St.
- Ralph Ellison Library, 2000 NE 23 St.
- Ronald J. Norick Library Downtown, 3000 Park Ave.
- Red Shield Dining Room, 1001 N Pennsylvania Ave.
- Patience S. Latting Northwest Library, 5600 NW 122 St.
- Belle Isle Library, 5500 N Villa Ave.
- The Village Library, 10307 N Pennsylvania Ave.
- Northside Branch YMCA, 10000 N Pennsylvania Ave.
- Jones Library, 12900 E Britton Road.
- Rockwell Plaza YMCA, 8300 Glade Ave.