OKLAHOMA CITY (KFOR) – Pumpkinville at the Myriad Gardens is back for its 10th year! The annual festival opens to the public on Friday, Oct. 6.
“Pumpkinville is a must see,” said Kristen Milburn, the event’s manager.
Employees were hard at work Thursday putting the finishing touches on the 30-thousand pumpkin display. Though planning for it started all the way back in the spring.
“I really think this one might be the most elaborate one we’ve done,” said Nate Tschaenn, the Director of Horticulture.
This year, it has a travel-theme called “Greetings from Pumpkinville.” Guests can take the “Pumpkinville Express” to Europe’s greatest monuments, step into Lunar New Year celebrations, safari with African wildlife, explore the Amazon Rainforest, experience colorful sugar skull pumpkins for Day of the Dead celebrations, and see a pyramid of pumpkins in ancient Egypt, according to a press release.
“We really wanted to highlight travel, landmarks, monuments, wildlife from around the world,” said Milbourn. “We thought that was a really different way to showcase the pumpkin. So, we’re doing Mexico, Kenya, Europe, Asia. So we’ve got really cool displays highlighting each of those areas and celebrating their culture, landmarks and wildlife.”
General admission tickets for ages 3 and above costs $9 per person, while members and children aged 2 and under can get in for free.
The list of special events and classes is below:
- Paint-a-Pumpkin, $5
- Story time with Metropolitan Library, sponsored by Bank of Oklahoma, Monday-Saturday at 2pm
- Vendor Market, Saturdays & Sundays, from 10am–5pm
- Member Preview, Thursday, October 5, 5-7pm. Membership required.
- Oktoberfest at Pumpkinville, Thursday, October 12, 5:30-7pm. $6 for member; $12 nonmember.
- Sensory Night, Thursday, October 19, 5:30-6:30pm. Free for members. $9 nonmember.
$8 per class. Advanced registration at myriadgardens.org/pumpkinville
- Mondays (Oct. 9, 16), Greetings from China
- Tuesdays (Oct. 10 & 17), Greetings from Brazil
- Wednesdays (Oct. 11 & 18), Greetings from Kenya
- Thursdays (Oct. 12 & 19), Greetings from Mexico
- Fridays (Oct. 13 & 20), Greetings from Egypt
Pumpkinville runs from Oct. 6 through Oct. 22.