UPDATE: Oklahoma City authorities are working to determine whether remains found inside a house after a fire are that of a person.
Oklahoma City firefighters were called to the 5600 block of S. Hiwassee in the Oklahoma City/Choctaw area at 10:13 a.m. on Saturday.
Firefighters arrived and found that the single-story home was “well involved” in fire, according to an Oklahoma City Fire Department news release.
Fire officials at the scene believed that a person was inside the home.
“Firefighters found what they believed to be the remains of a person in a back room of the house where the fire appeared to be the most significant,” the news release states.
However, firefighters could not conclusively determine whether the remains were that of a deceased person because of the extent of the fire, according to the news release.
The Oklahoma City Police Department’s Homicide Unit has joined the investigation.
- Police: Chase ends with stolen vehicle crashing into creek
- Oklahoma City police investigating shooting
- Nurse pulls 3 newborns out of hospital hit by the Beirut blast
- Biden no longer coming to Milwaukee to accept presidential nomination
- Tracking the Tropics: Experts update hurricane season forecast to ‘extremely active’ with 24 named storms