UPDATE: Oklahoma City authorities are working to determine whether remains found inside a house after a fire are that of a person.
Oklahoma City firefighters were called to the 5600 block of S. Hiwassee in the Oklahoma City/Choctaw area at 10:13 a.m. on Saturday.
Firefighters arrived and found that the single-story home was “well involved” in fire, according to an Oklahoma City Fire Department news release.
Fire officials at the scene believed that a person was inside the home.
“Firefighters found what they believed to be the remains of a person in a back room of the house where the fire appeared to be the most significant,” the news release states.
However, firefighters could not conclusively determine whether the remains were that of a deceased person because of the extent of the fire, according to the news release.
The Oklahoma City Police Department’s Homicide Unit has joined the investigation.
- Get into the Christmas spirit with ‘Downtown in December’ events
- OU archaeologists uncover buried building in ancient Mexican city
- Pro-Trump donor suing Houston group over failure to prove voter fraud in 2020 election
- Oklahoma City church giving away stuffed turkey legs to those in need
- Guthrie organization giving food to those in need