Fire officials: Generator may be to blame for Oklahoma City house fire

Local
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY (KFOR) – As hundreds of thousands of Oklahomans wake up to no electricity again, many are working to stay warm.

For the fortunate Oklahomans, they can light their fireplace or turn on a generator.

However, officials stress that even those things can cause problems.

Late Wednesday night, Oklahoma City firefighters were called to a house fire near N.W. 122nd and MacArthur Blvd.

Investigators say an 80-year-old man was inside the home at the time the fire started.

“Crews responded to a structure fire that was in an area where they were without power. We believe that possibly a generator was involved. We’re still under investigation. But according to what the occupant told us, that he was working with his generator and it may have sparked off at that point,” said Acting Chief Keith Castillo, with the Oklahoma City Fire Department.

Officials say one firefighter suffered an injury but was treated at the scene.

At this point, there is no estimate on the amount of damage done by the blaze.

LATEST STORIES:

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Daily Oklahoma Coronavirus Data

Contact In Your Corner Team

Latest News

More News

SCAN ME: KFOR App QR Code

image of QR Code

Popular

KFOR Digital Originals

More Digital Original

Follow @KFOR on Twitter