This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY (KFOR) – A chase that began in Kansas has ended in Perry, Oklahoma with the suspect deceased on Friday.

According to officials, a suspect was wanted for allegedly robbing a bank in Wellington, Kansas where he told the bank teller he had a bomb.

“During the robbery, obviously he was armed, but he did tell officials at the bank that he had a bomb” said OHP Trooper Eric Foster.

According to the Wellington Police Department, officers responded to the Impact Bank in Wellington, Kansas, shortly after 12:40 p.m. on Friday regarding a robbery. Police say bank officials reported a man dressed in a dark jacket, light colored pants and wearing a face mask entering the bank. It is reported that the man handed a note to a clerk demanding money.

Officials say the clerk obeyed and the suspect left with an undetermined amount money.

WPD says they were able to obtain a vehicle/suspect description. Kansas Turnpike Authority notified Oklahoma Highway Patrol after the suspect’s vehicle was seen traveling through one of their tollgates.

Authorities say OHP picked up the chase once they spotted the suspect on I-35. Shots were exchanged between the suspect and authorities as the chase went south on I-35 and Highway 412.

Photo courtesy KFOR, OHP near I-35 and Highway 412

Officials say the suspect then got out of his vehicle and continued to shoot as he attempted to run into a nearby field. Authorities returned fire and the suspect has been confirmed dead.

“The suspect fled on foot from the vehicle, armed, with troopers behind him. At the end of that foot pursuit the suspect pointed a firearm at troopers and troopers returned fire. Unfortunately the suspect is deceased. The troopers and all other law enforcement are safe and ok” said Trooper Foster.

A bomb squad cleared the suspect’s vehicle of any explosives.

“There’s a risk to the public. That’s why we operate so aggressively. We want to make sure the risk to the public is completely eliminated.” said Foster.

According to officials, OHP, WPD and FBI are currently investigating.

“We’re grateful that it turned out ok for law enforcement and we’re grateful that it turned out ok for the citizens in the state of Oklahoma” Foster added.