OKLAHOMA CITY (KFOR) – It has been one week since a shocking tragedy claimed the life of a 14-year-old Oklahoma girl.
Shortly before 7 a.m. on Sept. 24, Oklahoma City and Edmond firefighters were called to a home explosion near N.E. 140th and Midwest Blvd.
“I hear people screaming outside. There was a large explosion. I think someone’s house exploded,” a woman can be heard saying while on the phone with 911.
Officials soon learned that a family of four was inside the house when it suddenly exploded.
“The dad kept saying he plugged in the coffee pot and he was electrocuted. Obviously, he wasn’t electrocuted but he was shocked and the house blew up,” Patti Wommer said.
Neighbors rushed in to help Shawn Maguire, Tanda Maguire, and their son, Hayden.
“We heard Shawn, the dad crying because he couldn’t find his family and he couldn’t see. We helped him through the street. Another neighbor helped the mother, the wife. And another neighbor helped the son. And then we couldn’t find the daughter,” Wommer said.
Sadly, there was nothing they could do for 14-year-old Berklee Maguire, who was killed in the blast.
Officials determined the explosion was caused by a fireplace log lighter that might have been installed before the family even moved into the home.
One week after the explosion, Tanda and Hayden have been released from the hospital and are recovering.
Friends say Shawn Maguire is recovering well, but is still in the ICU.
As they focus on recovery, some of the financial burden has been lifted off of the family.
A GoFundMe page has raised more than $172,000 for the family’s recovery and medical expenses.
“We are so grateful and overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and support. Continue praying for our family and know that we are praying for all of you,” a statement from the Maguire family read.
On Friday, Oct. 2 and Saturday, Oct. 3, Kendra Scott Edmond will be donating 20% back to the Maguire Family. Shoppers can visit the store or shop online. To shop in-store, mention “Maguire Family” at checkout. To shop online, enter code GIVEBACK9689 at checkout.
- Spain orders nationwide curfew to stem worsening outbreak
- Fire set in Boston ballot drop box; FBI asked to investigate
- Dalton goes down in blowout loss
- Intense Winter storm on the way, significant ice accumulations likely
- “Everything was on fire,” witnesses describe moments after Foley plane crash