This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NORMAN, Okla. (KFOR) – After four long years, there’s finally some closure to an unthinkable killing in Norman.

On Thursday, 27-year-old Desiree Sanchez and charged 35-year-old Octavio Sanchez, who was already in custody in another county on differing charges, were arrested in connection to a 2018 homicide.

“That’s a long time,” said Major Jamie Shattuck, with NPD. “For us to be able to put a case together to actually close this case and figure out what happened is very exciting for us.”

In January 2018, court documents say Margarita Sandoval moved in with Desiree and Octavio Sanchez at a Norman apartment.

“The victim was one of the suspect’s sisters,” said Major Shattuck.

Court documents reveal Sandoval had a cognitive disability and her Social Security Disability checks when to Desiree Sanchez.

Meanwhile, concern grew from Sandoval’s other family members, who hadn’t heard from the teen after February 2018.

Fast forward to May 13, 2021 the Norman Police Department received a tip about body being in the basement of a home on W. Lindsey St. Officers responded and found a decomposing body wrapped up in a plastic-wrapped box.

Investigators say the body was identified as Sandoval.

According to court records, investigators found Facebook messages between Desiree and Octavio Sanchez about “moving the body around the house due to the smell” and say Octavio Sanchez told someone “Desiree started it and I had to finish it.”

On July 6, 2022, the Oklahoma Medical Examiner’s Office ruled the teen’s death a homicide.

Both Desiree Sanchez and Octavio Sanchez are charged with Murder in the First Degree and Unauthorized Removal of a Dead Body. The duo continued getting the money from Sandoval’s social security checks until the day her body was found, according to court documents.

Investigators hope the arrest will bring some closure to Sandoval’s family.

“We are very grateful that we’re able to possibly bring some justice to the victim,” said Major Shattuck.