Oklahoma City firefighters: Overloaded extension cord to blame for apartment fire

Local
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY (KFOR) – While you may love to decorate your home for Christmas, Oklahoma City firefighters are warning residents about the dangers of overloading extension cords.

On Dec. 3, Oklahoma City fire crews were called to an apartment fire in the 5700 block of N.W. 16th St.

When fire crews arrived on the scene, they were met with heavy flames coming from a downstairs apartment.

They were able to quickly put out the flames and determined that an overloaded extension cord was the cause of the fire.

“From a simple candle being inadvertently knocked over to a space heater being placed too close to a couch; from ignoring the frying pan to improperly disposing of cigarettes- small acts can lead to huge consequences! A simple extension cord being overloaded resulted in damages of roughly $300,000,” the fire department wrote.

Fortunately, no one was injured in the blaze.

LATEST STORIES:

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

More News

Pay it 4Ward

More Pay It 4ward

National News

More U.S. & World

Washington D.C.

More Washington

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Daily Oklahoma Coronavirus Data

Trending

Contact In Your Corner Team

Latest News

More News

SCAN ME: KFOR App QR Code

image of QR Code

KFOR Digital Originals

More Digital Original

Follow @KFOR on Twitter