WAYNE, Okla. (KFOR) – An Oklahoma community is cleaning up after severe storms moved through the state early Tuesday morning.

As severe storms were passing through central Oklahoma, radar indicated that a tornado formed over the town of Wayne.

The National Weather Service confirms it was an EF2 tornado that touched down causing damage.

Officials with Wayne Public Schools announced that the district would be closed on Tuesday due to cleanup efforts.

“Due to no electricity and the high probability of storm damage, Wayne schools will be closed today,” the district posted on Facebook.

Officials with Wayne Public Schools say the district suffered minimal damages, adding that there was no structural damage or damage to the roofs.

“We are thankful there was no loss of life and what was damaged can be replaced,” said Toby Ringwald, superintendent of Wayne Public Schools.   

The most significant damage is to trees, debris across campus, and six windows on the far south side of campus.

“We appreciate the thoughts and prayers of all of those who have reached out; your generosity and willingness to lend a hand has not gone unnoticed,” said Toby Ringwald, superintendent of Wayne Public Schools. 

KFOR crews say they can see severe damage to several homes and trees in the area, but will get a better idea of the extent of the damage when the sun comes up.

Tornado damage in Wayne Dec. 13, 2022
Tornado damage in Wayne Dec. 13, 2022

A family tells KFOR that they were all inside this home when they received an alert on their phone about the storms.

They say they ran to the basement to ride out the storm. When the threat was over, they realized their home was destroyed.

Fortunately, they were not injured.

Ron Johnson, McClain County Emergency Manager, said the town of Wayne is relatively lucky.  

“We actually really got blessed,” said Johnson. “This could have been a lot worse.”  

Outside of a home that was destroyed on Nicholas Drive, there were eight to nine other homes with damage from large trees that had fallen.  

Johnson said that the storm also knocked over an oil tanker, but crews were on site fast enough to contain the spill.  

The American Red Cross says it is in contact with emergency managers and other officials from several counties impacted by the storms.

KFOR met the emergency manager at the Red Cross relief center, which was stationed at the heart of town at the First Baptist Church. Volunteers were handing out water and food for any resident in need.  

All throughout Wayne, OG&E crews were working downed power lines. Johnson said that there were no reported injuries or deaths to humans, but there was a fatality after a cow was electrocuted by one of the live wires.  

As of 5 p.m., Johnson said the power in town had not yet been restored.  

Also stationed at the First Baptist Church was the Southern Baptist Disaster Relief. Sam Porter is the interim state director for Oklahoma and said they had teams coming to Wayne to help remove trees from yards and roofs for free.  

“The assessors come and they talk to family members and let them know that we’ll help take care of their damage trees and get that off their houses and out of their driveways and move those trees at no charge,” said Porter.

Red Cross representatives will be at the First Baptist Church in Wayne, located at 301 Brady St., for anyone needing support throughout the day.