Man and dog die after becoming trapped inside Corvette

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

PORT ARTHUR, Texas – A Texas man and his dog have died after they became trapped inside the man’s car.

Port Arthur police officials say 72-year-old James Rogers was found unresponsive inside his vehicle with his dog, Leia.

The door locks in his 2007 Chevy Corvette are completely electric, and officers say it appears the battery cable came loose while the pair was inside it.

With no power, the doors would not unlock.

The fire department was called and they had trouble getting inside the vehicle, according to KBMT.

When they finally got inside, they found Rogers and Leia dead.

Authorities say there is evidence the man struggled to get out of the car before he died.

Officials say his death was likely a result of the heat.

The victim was not able to call anyone for help because he accidentally left his cell phone in the Waffle House.

Corvette experts say there is a manual release inside the vehicle, but most people don’t know about it.

The release is usually located on the left hand side of the floorboard by the driver and the right hand side by the passenger.

However, many people say the lever is difficult to see.

See a mistake? Report a typo here.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

More News

National News

More U.S. & World

Washington D.C.

More Washington

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Daily Oklahoma Coronavirus Data

Trending

Contact In Your Corner Team

Latest News

More News

KFOR Digital Originals

More Digital Original

Follow @KFOR on Twitter