UPDATE: Officer charged after man partially paralyzed following encounter with police

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

UPDATE: Madison police have charged the officer involved in the encounter with assault.

“I sincerely apologize to Mr. Patel, Mr. Patel’s family and our community.  We strive to exceed expectations,” said Chief Larry Muncey.

He said he has proposed Officer Parker be terminated, and he has also been arrested for third-degree assault.

Parker turned himself in on the charge.

The Patel family filed a lawsuit against the City of Madison and the Madison Police Department.

Data pix.

MADISON, Ala. (WHNT) - Chirag Patel says bringing his father to Alabama from India may have been a mistake.

Chirag's 17-month-old son was born prematurely and had been experiencing some development delays.

Chirag, who worked full-time and was studying for his master's degree in electrical engineering, had given up his classes to help his wife with the baby.

At that point, Chirag's father, Sureshbahai Patel, decided to fly to the United States to help care for the child.

It was Sureshbahai's first visit to the family's home in Alabama.

Now, his family says it may have been a big mistake.

Six days after arriving, Sureshbahai went for a walk but did not return home.

Chirag says he was at work when he received a message from Madison Hospital, asking him to call the emergency room.

Chirag says his father was walking along the sidewalk when he was approached by three officers.

Sureshbhai, who speaks very little English, reportedly said, "No English. Indian. Walking."

He says he gave his son's house number and pointed in the direction of the family's home.

At that point, Patel says one of the officers grabbed Sureshbhai's arm, wrenched it behind his back and forced him to the ground.

As his face hit the ground, his neck was injured and had no feeling in his arms or legs.

He was rushed to the hospital and underwent cervical fusion surgery.

He has since regained some feeling in his arms and one leg, but he is still partially paralyzed.

His family says doctors tell them it will take months for him to recover.

The Madison Police Department says officers did try to question Sureshbhai Patel while investigating a suspicious person in the neighborhood.

The caller told police a strange man had been walking into driveways and looking in garages.

Investigators say while police were trying to speak to Sureshbhai, he put his hands in his pockets.

When they tried to pat him down, he pulled away.

At that point, police say the officer forced him to the ground and Sureshbhai was injured.

The officer is currently on administrative leave and police have promised a full investigation.

See a mistake? Report a typo here.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter