THE VILLAGE, Okla. (KFOR) – One man is dead after an officer-involved shooting in The Village.
It happened Saturday afternoon near Penn and Britton.
“I was pretty shocked because this street’s usually quiet, especially in the village,” neighbor Scott Reyes said.
An officer was initially called to the neighborhood to help with a domestic situation.
“The female wanted to collect some belongings out of the house and just wanted to make sure everything was safe so one of our officers went over and tried to keep the peace,” Deputy Chief Russ Landon with The Village Police Department said.
However, things took a turn after a confrontation.
A neighbor tells KFOR they heard the man may have come at the officer with a baseball bat. Police have not confirmed if the man was armed.
“At some point a confrontation came about between our officer and the male part of this domestic relationship and our officer did discharge his service weapon striking the subject,” Landon said.
The man was taken to the hospital in serious condition where he later died.
He has since been identified as 49-year-old Christopher Poor.
“I didn’t know it was going to go this far, because I heard that he’d been shot like five times,” Reyes said. “I feel bad, I wish stuff like this wouldn’t happen, but it does. It’s all in God’s hands now.”
Other neighbors say the couple has had issues for a long time.
The Oklahoma County Sheriff’s Office is investigating.
- Purcell police learn that 2 junior high students were in possession of unloaded gun at school
- Man in critical condition after shot in Oklahoma City, suspect in custody
- Pregnant ESPN reporter fires back after ‘troll’ tries to body-shame her
- Officials track down first-ever ‘murder hornet’ nest in Washington
- Beloved Oklahoma State University President announces plans to retire in 2021, looks back on 13 years with the college