Ohio man dies after wheelchair catches fire while smoking outside nursing home

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

OAKWOOD VILLAGE, Ohio - Oakwood Village police are investigating after a man in a wheelchair caught on fire while smoking a cigarette and later died, according to WJW.

“We got the call April 17, it was after lunchtime. It was for a wheelchair that was on fire,” said Detective Ed Thyret with the Oakwood Village Police Department.

Thyret was first to the scene.

“I arrived and noticed there was a wheelchair that was smoldering in front of the building with a male laying on the ground, facedown,” said Thyret.

Police say Joseph Konopa of Bedford was allegedly smoking outside the Grande Oaks nursing home while using an oxygen tank when his wheelchair caught fire.

Someone driving by noticed the flames and immediately called the police.

“I noticed the male wasn’t breathing. As we got him rolled over, he had no pulse and wasn’t breathing so I administered CPR until our fire department got there,” said Thyret.

Konopa was taken to a nearby hospital where he later died from his injuries.

Phone calls to Embassy Healthcare, the company that manages Grande Oaks, have not been returned.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Latest News

More News

Popular

KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter