Man hit by a van after running from police suffers from broken nose, keeps running

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

DEL CITY,Okla. - A man was taken to the hospital before jail after running from police and being hit by a vehicle.

It all originated from a gift card scam.

The man is sitting in jail tonight with a broken nose.

He's accused of master-minding a gift card scam in Del City, but a business owner played detective and had police as back-up when he tried to scam his pawn shop.

For years, Steve Evans has seen people come and go into his Del city pawn shop, but it was gift cards Monday that kick-started a little investigative work.

"We had a customer come in yesterday, and he sold us two gift cards," Evans said.

That man police say was Antonius Anderson, who was selling a gift card worth almost $400 for about $200.

The catch was it was fake.

"We went back and checked the balance on the first gift cards which, at that time, they had already figured out how to get the money off there," Evans said.

So, he called Del City police, and they set up a whole sting.

"We pretty much knew it was the same people coming back for the second one. They got us for $200 on the first time, then they wanted 400 on the second time, which we pretty much knew," Evans said. "They were in the back room waiting and, once I got the card, we checked the balances, and we knew it was the same thing."

One guy was arrested inside the pawn shop but, the second time, Anderson was waiting in the car.

"The individual, Antonious Anderson, at first, was not giving them a problem," said Major Jodi Suit with Del City Police. "Then, all the sudden, he jerked lose and took off into traffic."

But, literally, he ran into traffic.

"He ran across a turn lane and a dodge van, full size dodge van hit him, knocking him into the air, and he fell into the ground," Suit said.

"I heard the van hit," Evans said. "It was pretty loud. [It] just [sounded] a big old thud."

Police said never buy a gift card from someone other than the store.

If you buy from an individual, there is a good chance the card won't be good by the time you're ready to use it.

We're told the man who ran from police the first time was taken to the hospital for a broken nose.

While there, he tried running from police again.

Three people are in custody tonight.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Don't Miss

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter