ORLANDO, Fla. — An Alabama man arrested for camping out on a shuttered Disney World island has been fined $100 and banned from the Florida theme park for life.
The Orlando Sentinel reports 42-year-old Richard McGuire pleaded no contest to trespassing under a plea agreement in Orange County, Florida.
Orange County Sheriff’s deputies found McGuire on Disney’s abandoned Discovery Island in April.
The man, originally from Mobile, Alabama, said he didn’t hear numerous deputies searching the private island for him and told a deputy he didn’t know it was a restricted area, despite “no trespassing” signs.
Discovery Island had been a zoological park before it was closed in 1999.
- ‘I needed to say something before I could move on’: Chrissy Teigen posts heartbreaking essay about pregnancy loss
- Protests, looting in Philadelphia after police fatally shoot Black man Walter Wallace Jr.
- Tracking the Tropics: Zeta becomes hurricane again in the Gulf of Mexico
- The future of the Senate: 35 seats up for grabs on election night
- President Trump’s campaign website hacked in cryptocurrency scam