Man’s quick swim turns into 4-hour nightmare

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Crane Beach is visible across Ipswich Bay. (Wikimedia)
Crane Beach is visible across Ipswich Bay. (Wikimedia)

A swimmer who vanished off a Massachusetts beach was found safe and sound Tuesday after treading water for 4 1/2 hours.

Randall Hackett, 58, and his 28-year-old son-in-law, Alexander Auerbach, had decided to swim part of the 4-mile distance of Crane Beach in Ipswich around 5 p.m. Tuesday, report the Salem News and WCVB.

Both are strong swimmers, and they were clad in wetsuits, but family members were nonetheless concerned when neither had returned to shore after an hour and a half, per ABC News.

[protected-iframe id=”8d76c8650aaf8c54e4bbf2dbf79cc887-41640108-42336256″ info=”″ width=”640″ height=”360″ style=”border:none;” scrolling=”no”]

Shortly after family members reported the pair missing, Auerbach was found on the beach around 7:30 p.m., about a mile south of the men’s starting point, but he said he’d lost track of Hackett because of rip currents and heavy fog.

For two hours, the Coast Guard, police and fire department combed the water before rescuers using an infrared camera aboard a helicopter spotted Hackett treading water a quarter-mile offshore, per WCVB.

Hackett was plucked from the water around 9:30 p.m. and returned to the beach, where he walked into his wife’s arms.

“The fog was so thick you couldn’t even see your hand,” said Hackett, who was taken to a hospital as a precaution.

“I made the decision to try and conserve energy,” he adds, noting he clung to a buoy for a time. “I thought I could survive until morning.”

On Facebook, police called the rescue “a tremendous effort … in difficult conditions and rough waters,” while the Coast Guard warns water conditions are getting worse as temperatures drop.

(This Coast Guard rescuer had to rely solely on his own muscles in another incident.)

This article originally appeared on Newser: Man’s Quick Swim Turns Into 4-Hour Nightmare.

More From Newser:

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Latest News

More News

KFOR Digital Originals

More Digital Original


Follow @KFOR on Twitter

Border Report

More Border Report