Metro family demands answers in suspect’s death

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Data pix.

OKLAHOMA CITY -- The family of 54-year-old Robin Howard said almost eight weeks after his death, they still don't have any answers. 

"We're at a loss and we want answers and we want to know the truth. We want to know what happened," Howard's sister, Kimberly Turner, said. "We want to know is there really an investigation going on. Because we have a lot of questions. We still have a lot of questions."

Back on June 19, police said Howard was involved in a brief police pursuit and crashed his car on Monticello Court in N.E. Oklahoma City. 

After a struggle, he was arrested and transported by Oklahoma City police to Southwest Medical Center where he died four days later. 

"We don't understand how he got all these tickets and he ended up dead. You know? EMSA was called to the scene and was cancelled. We want to know why. Why did the officers then transport him in their vehicle? We don't understand that," Turner said.

Howard's family said they weren't notified until four days after his death. 

"Really we really would like some true answers. Not to be misled, not to be brushed off.  And we're going to keep coming back. We're not stopping," Turner said.

Howard's family has hired attorney, David Slane. 

"Either the police is covering up something or they've mishandled the entire investigation from the beginning," Slane said. 

Slane wrote a letter to Oklahoma City police chief, Bill Citty, asking that the officers involved be suspended until the investigation is complete. 

"Either there's really an investigation going on here and we need to hear the answer and these officers shouldn't be on the streets or they've already concluded their investigation and they're just waiting on the M.E.'s office. If that's the case, just tell us the truth, one way or the other.  But the family deserves to know," Slane said.

OKC Police Capt. Dexter Nelson said they have been in contact with one family member throughout the investigation. 

He said that was at the request of the family to only share information with one spokesperson. 

Capt. Dexter said they can't control what that family member is telling the others. 

He said the investigation is not complete and that they are waiting on a report from the medical examiner's office. 

He said once they have everything, they will turn over the results to the district attorney's office.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ
graphic of the Red Cross

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter