YUKON, Okla. – Most of the rain and thunderstorms have passed through the metro area this evening, but Tuesday morning, much of the area was wet.
Some of you might have woken up to heavy thunder and lightning.
The loud bangs woke a Yukon mom and children, but the children say they were greeted with more than loud clashing sounds.
The brother and sister say they actually felt the lightning in the area.
“I started seeing all the lightning and thunder and I’m like oh, so I hopped off here and I came over here and I opened up my blinds,” Sadie Noreen, a 5th grader said.
She loves weather, especially storms and was watching the light show at around 7 this morning.
Her brother was in the next room.
“I was just laying on my bed and playing on my phone and listening to the thunder and lightning,” Brandon Noreen, her 8th grade brother said.
Their mom, Amy Noreen, was in the kitchen making coffee, when everyone heard a big clap of thunder.
“A couple of seconds later there were 4 lightning strikes and the whole house was just shaking,” their mom said.
“I just looked out the window and I closed the blinds then I came right here and I just got this ooh feeling,” Sadie says.
“When I was playing on my phone there was like a shock in my leg and my arm and it surprised me and I just ran down from my bunk-bed and then I went to my mom and told her I got shocked,” Brandon says.
They claim they were shocked, an electrical feeling from the lightning.
“I had this really shaky feeling in me and it felt all shocky,” Sadie described.
“I was just playing my game and the lightning struck and then I just felt it in my thumbs and it went down to my leg and it was like shocking,” Brandon remembered.
Their mom just wants to know what happened.
“I can’t explain to the kids what just happened to them, we live in Oklahoma, I mean we are surrounded by this type of weather and what can we do in the future?” their mom said.
We spoke with Dr. Ron Miller, a physics professor at the University of Central Oklahoma who says it’s probably impossible to explain what happened to the kids.
Miller says electricity is unpredictable and normally tries to find the easiest path from cloud to ground.
Miller tells us it’s possible the main lightning strike was not close to the kids, but since lightning creates an electric field, the discharge could have been through the children because they were close to electrical devices or even just close to electrical outlets in the home.
He says staying away from electricity and outlets during storms is always a best practice.