Metro man accused of beating woman, locked her in closet for hours

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY – A metro man is arrested on a kidnapping charge after police say he held a woman against her will, locking her inside a closet for hours.

It happened at the Nantucket Condominiums at 3200 W. Britton Rd. Wednesday evening.

The victim told police she was hired by the owner of one of the condos to clean it.

But she says the man who was renting it from the owner showed up while she was there and physically and sexually assaulted her.

Police were called there by a neighbor who was concerned over the noise coming from a nearby unit.

“She was hearing screaming and fighting and it sounded like somebody was being hurt in one of the apartments,” said MSgt. Gary Knight with the Oklahoma City Police Department.

Joseph Beard, 54, answered the door but told them no one else was there with him.

Police felt he was lying so they searched the condo and found signs indicating that a fight occurred in the condo recently.

They found damage on doors, walls, carpet and a door with multiple holes in it.

In a back bedroom, they found a closet locked from the outside.

“When the officer first opened the door, she thought it was the suspect coming back to harm her and she had armed herself with a box knife to try to fend him off. The officer had to convince her that he was there to help her,” said Msgt. Knight.

The victim told police Beard had chased her around the condo assaulting her and punching her everywhere that he could, knocking out her dentures and breaking them.

She was locked in that closet for more than 5 hours and told police she kicked the walls and screamed for help, hoping that a nearby neighbor would hear and call the police.

Luckily, that’s exactly what happened.

“There’s simply no telling what kind of ending this story would have had had the neighbor not picked up the phone and called 911,” said Msgt. Knight.

Beard was arrested on several charges including kidnapping and sexual battery.

According to the police report, the woman had bruises all over her body.

She was checked out by EMSA paramedics but ultimately said she didn’t want to be transported to the hospital.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Latest News

More News

KFOR Digital Originals

More Digital Original


Follow @KFOR on Twitter

Border Report

More Border Report