This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MIDWEST CITY, OK — A dramatic shooting is caught on camera. The incident took place last week in Midwest City.

A suspect held a two-year-old child hostage inside a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market. On Friday the Midwest City police department released video of the deadly encounter.

Walking across Midwest Boulevard, Sammie Wallace grabs a shopping cart and walks inside the store. After a few minutes, Wallace snagged the two-year-old girl from a shopping cart for no apparent reason.

“He abducts the child and hands the cell phone to the mother and demands she make a call to a Dallas police officer,” said Midwest City police chief Brandon Clabes.

During the 30 minute standoff that ensued, police say Wallace made a number of odd statements and appeared to suffer from mental illness.

“He talked about being the richest man in the world and being able to get a Dallas officer there in 10 minutes,” said Clabes.

Chief Clabes says during the entire incident the suspect held a knife to the child’s body. Eventually officers offered Wallace a chair to sit and evacuated the store.

After Wallace began a 60-second countdown and moved the knife from the child’s stomach to her throat, Captain David Huff walked up and shot the suspect point blank in the head.

“I mean we waited until the last second to use deadly force,” said Clabes. ”No one wants to take a life, especially in the line of duty.”
The child did not suffer any injuries.

The district attorney previously sent out a letter calling the officers actions justified. Captain Huff is currently on vacation but will return to duty soon.

Friday Midwest City Police Chief Brandon Clabes showed the knife, surveillance video and played the 911 tapes from the incident.

Last Monday authorities said suspect Sammie Wallace kidnapped a 2-year-old girl at the store.

Captain David Huff shot and killed Wallace as he threatened the child’s life at knife-point.

District Attorney David Prater said the use of deadly force was necessary in this case and called Capt. Huff’s actions “heroic.”