OKLAHOMA CITY (KFOR) – Everyone will love these easy-to-make meatballs subs. The whole thing comes together quickly, with frozen meatballs, French bread sliced into sandwich rolls and a quick marinara sauce. Makes for a good, quick lunch or dinner!
- 1 bag frozen Italian-style meatballs
- 2 French bread loaves, cut into thirds
- 9 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp Hiland butter, melted
- 1 cup Scissortail Farms basil leaves
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp chopped Scissortail Farms parsley
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Suans Scotch Bonnet Sweet Tomato Jam
In a sauté pan, warm garlic in olive oil over medium heat. Add red pepper flakes, parsley, Italian seasoning, crushed tomatoes and tomato jam. Bring to a simmer, and cook for 5 minutes..
Add the meatballs to marinara sauce. Bring back to simmer, and let warm through, about 10 minutes.
To assemble sandwiches, slice French rolls. Place 7-8 meatballs and some sauce on each roll bottom. Place 1 1/2 slices of mozzarella cheese over each sandwich.
Place French roll tops on each sandwich. Brush tops with melted butter. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread is lightly golden.
Let cool slightly, then and add fresh basil leaves to each sandwich. Serve warm.
For more information from the Made In Oklahoma coalition, visit MIO’s website.