INDIANAPOLIS — A mother in Indianapolis fired her daughter’s babysitter after she saw a viral cellphone video taken at a local water pad.
The video taken at the Greenwood splash pad has been shared thousands of times on Facebook.
The mother, Brittany Dixson, saw it online at work. She says when she first saw the video she thought, “Why would you put a child underneath so much water at once?”
Dixson says it was bad enough that the babysitter let her 7-month-old walk barefoot on hot cement, and swung her up high on a swing multiple times. But the last straw was seeing a huge bucket of water dumped on her daughter’s head.
Worried about her daughter, Dixson took her to the emergency room to get checked out.
Doctors say Annora could have had “dry drowning” because she inhaled a lot of water at once, and could have actually drowned in her sleep because the water would have been trapped in her lungs.
Dixson says she’s grateful that a concerned woman posted the video on Facebook, and she messaged the woman to say so.
She also says the babysitter apologized and said she didn’t realize the bucket carried so much water.
Dixon says that while she did tell the babysitter that she wouldn’t be using her services again, she says she forgives her for her poor judgement.