Mother blames popular toy for fire that destroyed her home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

LAFITTE, La. - Jessica Horne says one of the year's most sought-after toys could have killed her son.

Just a week before Thanksgiving, Horne's 12-year-old son received a hoverboard, powered by lithium batteries that allows riders to move without effort and steer with their feet.

Horne told WGNO that she had heard of people suffering injuries from falling off of the boards, but never knew it might catch fire.

One day after using it, Horne's son was charging the battery with the charger that came with the hoverboard when flames shot out from both ends.

"It was like fireworks," she said. "The middle part of the board, just poof."

Within minutes, her home was up in flames.

The Louisiana Fire Marshal's Office is investigating the blaze, but the fire chief says he has heard of hoverboard fires in other countries.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter