Mother facing charges for allegedly abandoning ‘rude’ 8-year-old son

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

[protected-iframe id=”c62f3aeaeb931f1166d723d547ee1fcc-29519643-31344442″ info=”″ width=”640″ height=”360″ frameborder=”0″]

WEST JORDAN, Utah – A mother in Utah is facing charges after she allegedly left her son at a local hospital with a note.

On Feb. 21, the 8-year-old boy walked through the doors of Jordan Valley Medical Center with a note, handing it to the nurse behind the desk.

“This kid is rude and ungovernable! I do not want him in my house at all,” the note read.

Now, the boy’s mother, 36-year-old Kathy Sherrer, is facing charges of child abandonment and child abuse.

Sherrer told KSL that she thought she was doing the right thing.

She says she is the mother of four special needs children and believed health authorities would understand that she was ‘overwhelmed.’

“In the note, I told them that he was out of control and that he needed more help than I could provide for him,” she said.

Sherrer says she dropped him off at the hospital because of Utah’s Safe Haven law.

“I thought that it was OK that we could drop them off and it was a Safe Haven place,” she said. “I wasn’t sure about the Safe Haven laws or what it meant,… I really did not know any other way to go about it.”

However, authorities say that is not how the law is supposed to work.

Utah’s Safe Haven law allows parents of infants who are one to 3-days-old may drop off the baby at a hospital without questions.

“You don’t get to arbitrarily drop children off at certain institutions,” said Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill. “You reach out to that organization, that organization helps process your child, there’s an understanding. Everybody understands what everyone’s role is. Everyone knows what they’re supposed to do. But you don’t simply say, ‘I’ve had enough and I’m going to drop off this child and no one knows who I am.”

The boy is now in protective custody.


More Featured Stories

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Latest News

More News

Latest News

More News

KFOR Digital Originals

More Digital Original


Follow @KFOR on Twitter