Mother says daughter was partially paralyzed after eating pot brownie

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

BROOKLYN, N.Y. (WPIX) - Several organizations around the country have been working to legalize marijuana.

However, one mother in New York says the drug has changed her family's lives.

Allison Buchanan says her 17-year-old daughter, Danieel, purchased a brownie from another student at her high school.

Buchanan says Danieel thought it was a normal brownie, not knowing that it was laced with marijuana.

"She ate part of the brownie, shared it with two other students and got sick," Buchanan told WPIX. "Around 11 a.m., the school nurse called me. They said she had high blood pressure and her heart was racing and they were taking her to the emergency room."

Danieel was rushed to the hospital on Feb. 27.

She was released after a few hours, but then started convulsing.

"By the time she got inside, she wasn't able to walk. They'd lift her up and her whole body started convulsing," she said.

Her family says her blood tests showed that she had marijuana in her system, but she tested negative for other drugs.

"She's not able to walk. She can't stand. She can't sit up. They have never seen anything like this before," Buchanan said.

Buchanan says her daughter did not have any preexisting conditions and did not use drugs.

While doctors have prescribed an intensive physical therapy program, the family's insurance company denied the claim.

The student who sold the brownie to Danieel has been suspended. Police are investigating.

See a mistake? Report a typo here.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ
graphic of the Red Cross

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter