(NEXSTAR) – The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is investigating an incident in which a Florida manatee was seen with the word “Trump” inscribed on its back.
Photos of the manatee were going viral Monday, but according to Fish and Wildlife spokesperson Christina Meister, the manatee does not appear to be seriously injured.
“It seems that the word was written in algae on the animal’s back,” she said.
“West Indian manatees are essential members of the ecosystems in which they inhabit and are protected under the Endangered Species Act and the Marine Mammal Protection Act,” said Aurelia Skipwith, Director of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
“The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is aware of this incident and is working closely with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission,” Skipwith said.
Fish and Wildlife asks anyone with information to call their wildlife crime tips hotline at 1-844-397-8477 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thunder Hold Off Portland for First Win on Road Trip
- Hot Shooting Cowboys Beat Cyclones in Ames
- Witness condemns fire crew response after three killed in Hammon fire
- KKK church flyers found in Marietta, surrounding communities
- Is football star ready for State Board? Some question experience of Gov. Stitt’s newest Board of Education nominee