New video shows moments that led up to deadly officer-involved shooting in N.W. Oklahoma City

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Warning: The video below contains graphic content. Viewer discretion is advised. KFOR has chosen to freeze the video before the deadly shot; however, the sound of the gun going off can still be heard.

Data pix.

OKLAHOMA CITY - Video from a deadly officer-involved shooting in northwest Oklahoma City was released Monday.

Police say the events started June 24th.

Miguel Angel Chavez-Angles first encountered police around 12:33 p.m. at the St. James Catholic Church in the 1100 block of S.W. 45th.

Church staff told police that Chavez was praying at the church and was very upset about his potential divorce.  He was reportedly banging his head on the floor.

Officials say an officer spoke with Chavez and he agreed to go to St. Anthony's Hospital for an evaluation.

He was transported to St. Anthony's around 1:35 p.m. and discharged from the hospital about two hours later.

At 4:30 p.m., police say Chavez called his wife and told her he was walking the streets, trying to find a ride.

About fives minutes later, police received reports about a kidnapping near 11th and Walker.

Chavez allegedly got into a vehicle with two women and told them to drive.

Witnesses followed the vehicle Chavez was driving all the way to N.W. 22nd and Western, where he allegedly got out of the car and ran into O'Reilly Auto Parts and locked the door.

Police say the store manager asked Chavez to leave.

That is when he allegedly ran to a nearby city bus.

Data pix.

An officer followed behind him.

Police say the surveillance video from the bus shows Chavez was acting aggressively towards the officers.

On the security video, Chavez is heard urging to bus driver to drive.

"I will give you whatever you want," Chavez said.

He asks the driver not to open the door, and tells him to keep driving.

In the video, Chavez is seen grabbing one of the fire extinguishers on the bus and taking the pin out.

That is when the bus driver, John Mobley Jr., asks Chavez to get off the bus.

When Chavez refuses to get off the bus, Mobley then stops the bus and asks everyone on the bus to get off.

Police officers quickly arrive on scene.

Data pix.

When Chavez sees Officer Heather Lane, he attempts to throw the fire extinguisher at her.

However, when the fire extinguisher slips out of his hand, he reaches for Officer Lane's gun.

Data pix.

The two struggle for the weapon and then one shot goes off.

Police say that is when Officer Daniel Carli gets on the bus to assist Officer Lane.

Officer Carli then fires several shots, striking Chavez.

Data pix.

Police say Chavez died on the bus.

Data pix.

The two officers involved remain on restricted duty.

Data pix.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Data pix.


More Local

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC Bureau

In Your Corner

More In Your Corner

Don't Miss

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter