Newcastle teen critically injured in crash hoping to start school next semester

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NEWCASTLE, Okla. – Many doctors didn’t think he would survive, but now a Newcastle teenager who was critically injured in crash last year has his sights set on going back to school.

In December, Caleb and Clayton Freeman were on their way to a University of Oklahoma basketball game when Caleb’s pick-up spun out of control on I-35.

Caleb’s truck stopped directly in front of Alex Stout’s big rig.

“Once his vehicle lost control, it spun out and came directly in front of my lane,” Stout said. “I knew I couldn’t stop. I knew I was going to hit him. I just… There’s nothing you can do at that point.”

Brad Frakes had also been on his way to the OU game that night. He stopped to help and called the boys’ parents.

“My phone rang. It was Caleb, and I answered it,” said Caleb’s dad, Jeremy Freeman. “There was this man on the other end very frantic. I will never forget that.”

Frakes actually pulled Clayton, who was unscathed, from the passenger seat.

“I remember looking over at Caleb, and he was shaking,” Clayton said. “I was scared. I didn’t really know what to think.”

Both boys were rushed to OU Medical Center in Oklahoma City; Caleb was in critical condition.

“A nurse pulled me to the side, and I said, ‘I need you to level with me. You just got to tell me the truth,’” Jeremy said. “And, she said, ‘Sir, we need a miracle.’ And, that moment, my heart dropped.”

For weeks, Caleb didn’t wake up. He laid in the ICU comatose, paralyzed, wavering between life and death.

His brain had been so rattled by the impact of the wreck it had stopped running his body. Ninety percent of patients with this type of traumatic brain injury never wake up.

Data pix.

Nearly three months after the crash, still speechless, Caleb wrote his name.

"So, that was the first day that I really started to think this is going to change a lot," said Craig Hospital Speech-Language Pathologist Megan Butz.

Then, the floodgates opened, and Caleb started to speak.

"It's only God, and no one else," Caleb said. "All the healing is because of Him. All the progress is because of God. He's been with me through it all. Without Him, I wouldn't be alive."

Earlier this week, Caleb celebrated his 17th birthday with friends and family. Family members say that Caleb received over 200 birthday cards from supporters.

Now, he continues to push himself in physical therapy and has been approved for a walker while at home.

"The big news today was that Caleb's speech therapist has been in communication with Newcastle High School and Caleb will immediately begin working on the subjects he missed last semester for course credit. The goal is to have Caleb start school with his classmates when school resumes in August!!!" an update on the Pray for Caleb Facebook page read.

The family is asking for supporters to continue praying for Caleb's healing.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ
graphic of the Red Cross

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter