Norman student in police custody for drugs, weapons on campus

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

NORMAN, Okla. - Norman North High School was put on lockdown for 45 minutes Monday afternoon after drugs and a gun were found in a student's vehicle, according to officials.

Shelly Hickman, director of communications for Norman Public Schools, said an 18-year-old senior at the high school was arrested by police after running from them during a meeting about selling drugs.

Police wanted to talk to Phillip Colton Jones because students and parents had called police on Friday, saying the teen was involved in selling marijuana to other students.

Hickman said when the alleged suspect was being interviewed by officers and school officials, he took off running toward his vehicle.

She says he was caught and arrested after marijuana and a handgun were found in his pickup truck.

However, the drugs and gun were never inside Norman North High School.

A notice was sent to parents on Monday afternoon and the school was put on lockdown.

The school district released the following statement:

"At approximately 2 p.m. Norman North High School went into a lockdown while the Norman Police Dept. worked an incident in the NNHS parking lot involving an allegation of a student distributing marijuana. NPD were there as a result of NNHS administration reporting the allegation to the NPD. The lockdown has been lifted, the situation contained with the student in NPD custody as a result of marijuana and a weapon being confiscated from the student's vehicle. However, at no time were NNHS students in danger today. NNHS staff and students responded according to Board policy and in a manner that upholds our firm commitment to safe and drug free campuses."

"At no time were students in danger today. He was obviously a danger to this campus in that he felt that he could distribute the narcotics on campus," Hickman said. "But students responded very proactively in letting us know about this potential threat to having a drug free campus."

One parent says she learned of the lockdown, thanks in part, to the watchful eyes of Bob Moore Chopper 4.

"We heard over the news there was a lockdown," said Rachel Nasrra, who's daughter attends the school. "We can hear the helicopter from the house, I didn't get a phone call, nothing."

The lockdown lasted 45 minutes, but for some students inside it felt like hours.

"They went over the speakers...'this is a lockdown, this is not a drill,' " said Serenity Dixon, freshman at Norman North High. "I didn't know what to do, I just started crying."

The district has a zero tolerance policy, and Hickman said that student will most likely be suspended for the rest of the school year.

Police say he will likely face gun and drug charges.

Data pix.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter