(NEXSTAR) – U.S. Capitol Police officer Howard Liebengood died Saturday while off-duty of unknown causes, the department announced Sunday. He was 51.
Liebengood was assigned to the Senate Division and had been with the department since 2005.
“Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends, and colleagues,” the press release said.
On Twitter Sunday, CBS News Chief Congressional Correspondent Nancy Cordes said Former Capitol Police Chief Terrance Gainer told the news organization that Liebengood’s death was a “line of duty casualty.”
The office of the U.S. Capitol Police did not immediately respond to a request for comment regarding Gainer’s reported statement.
- One person in hospital after shooting outside dispensary
- Many unemployment claimants find cards disabled; OESC says they’re looking into fraud
- Signs of heatstroke: What to do if you spot these 8 warnings
- Evening storms to subside, heat wave begins this week
- Counties with the lowest home prices in Oklahoma