(NEXSTAR) – U.S. Capitol Police officer Howard Liebengood died Saturday while off-duty of unknown causes, the department announced Sunday. He was 51.
Liebengood was assigned to the Senate Division and had been with the department since 2005.
“Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends, and colleagues,” the press release said.
On Twitter Sunday, CBS News Chief Congressional Correspondent Nancy Cordes said Former Capitol Police Chief Terrance Gainer told the news organization that Liebengood’s death was a “line of duty casualty.”
The office of the U.S. Capitol Police did not immediately respond to a request for comment regarding Gainer’s reported statement.
- OSBI investigating after woman’s body found along Delaware County road
- TikTok star accused of killing wife, her companion in high-rise shooting
- IN YOUR CORNER: Tenant still out thousands after landlord no-shows in court
- Severe Weather Expected Tuesday Night
- Authorities, citizens chase water buffalo through Oklahoma County fields