OKC family protests death at city council

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Data pix.

OKLAHOMA CITY -- In Oklahoma City family takes their quest for justice to the city council.

Two months ago, 54-year-old Robin Howard died while in police custody.

This week the state medical examiner ruled the death a homicide, the result of blunt force trauma to the chest.

On Tuesday his family confronted city leaders and the police chief about what happened.

Howard's family is upset the investigation has dragged on for months.

They want the officers involved in the arrest charged with a crime.

"We want some answers, some real answers," Howard's sister, Kim Turner, said.

"We feel very disrespected. I wouldn't wish this on nobody," Howard's sister, Deidra Hill, said.

Back in June, Howard led police on a brief pursuit before crashing his car.

After a scuffle with police, officers took Howard into custody but the 54-year-old died several days later at a local hospital.

"He died in their hands. We've seen the medical reports. We don't understand why can't the truth come out," Turner said.

Autopsy photos show Howard suffered broken ribs, a broken hand and collapsed lung.

Those injuries led to his death from pneumonia.

"We want to know what took place that day. Was he pushed? Was he choked? We want to know what happened," Turner said.

"You had an individual involved in a pursuit who did resist officers, so some use of force is justifiable," OKC Police Chief Bill Citty said.

The chief said it'll be up to the D.A. to determine if officers used excessive force or not.

In the meantime, the chief admits officers failed by waiting four days to notify the family of the death.

"The police department in that regard did drop the ball. We take that very seriously," Citty said.

That apology meant little to Howard's family, who's sole focus is seeing criminal charges against the officers involved in the arrest.

"We want to put a stop to this because police should be accountable like anybody else who breaks the law," Turner said

No word how long it'll take the D.A. to decide on whether to file charges against the officers.

The Medical Examiner's report just finished their report on Monday.

In the meantime, the chief said two officers involved in the incident have been put on restricted duty.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC Bureau

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter