This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY — An Oklahoma City police officer charged with child abuse will go before a judge Wednesday morning.

Jeremiah Thompson was the foster father to the victim, a 7-month-old baby.

Investigators say Jeremy Thompson and his wife only had custody of the little foster baby for about a month before the alleged crime happened.

Thompson said he accidentally dropped the baby, but a doctor says his story doesn’t add up with the extent of the baby’s injuries.

OKCPD Officer Jeremy Thompson called 9-1-1 to report his 7-month-old foster baby was having trouble breathing.

He described her as having a “hundred yard stare.”

According to court documents, Thompson told the 9-1-1 operator he also dropped the baby about 3-4 feet on the carpet.

Once at the hospital, a doctor said the baby had severe head trauma and extensive bleeding behind her eyes, an injury that in her opinion “could not have been caused by a single fall incident,” but was “more likely caused by an acceleration/deceleration-type event such as a person shaking a baby.”

“It’s going to come down to a battle of the medical experts to determine first of all when the injuries occurred, how acute were they with regard to when the 911 call was made,” legal analyst David McKenzie said.

Court papers show it was not until 4 minutes and 22 seconds into the phone call that Thompson mentioned dropping the baby, a detail that seemed suspicious to detectives, but not to some legal experts.

“Typically when 911 is called there are a lot of questions from the 911 operator about location, injuries, getting immediate medical assistance to the child, so that may or may not be sinister,” McKenzie said.

DHS tells Newschannel 4 the baby is recovering and doing well, but they don’t know at this point if the baby’s eyesight will be permanently damaged.

Thompson is on paid administrative leave from OCPD.

His preliminary hearing is Wednesday morning.

We reached out to Thompson’s attorney Tuesday, but he declined to comment.

Report a typo