UPDATE: Standoff in Dollar General parking lot ends peacefully

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY – Oklahoma City Police were on the scene of a standoff in the parking lot of a Dollar General at SW 59th and May for several hours Saturday afternoon that ended peacefully.

It started around one p.m. near S.W. 59th and May in the Dollar General parking lot Saturday afternoon.

“When we first made contact with the subject at the Dollar General, he said I’m innocent. I didn’t do anything wrong. You’re going to have to kill me,” Lionel Biggers, a bail enforcer, said.

Biggers is talking about Chris Elbert, a man he said he’s been trying to track down for months.

Elbert has a lengthy criminal past and now, he’s facing new charges, according to Diggers. Diggers said he was wanted on several felony warrants, including eluding police, possession of a stolen vehicle and leaving the scene of an accident.

“I spotted the vehicle. So, I did some surveillance on it and the subject came out, got into the vehicle. So, at that point, I called Oklahoma City police,” Diggers said. “Once we got out and approached him, he refused to get out of the truck.”

Once police arrived, that resistance went on for several hours, affecting a lot of people in the area, like Charles Frances.

“We were coming to visit my mother at the nursing home, the South Point Nursing Home, and the roads were blocked off. We made trips all the way around and we couldn’t get in so we pulled into this parking lot and kind of observed,” Frances said. “We’ve heard 5 gunshots.”

However, officers later told us that while the suspect did have a gun, no shots were fired.

“What we did is we used some less lethal devices to disable the tires and some gas was finally shot into the car which got him out,” Officer Brad Gilmore with the OCPD said.

It was a terrifying situation and a close call that thankfully, ended peacefully.

“Everybody walked out of here safe. Everybody is going home tonight and that’s the resolution we want,” Gilmore said.

“90% of the time, we make contact, they give up. I mean, they know it’s done. This situation, he didn’t want to give up, which I don’t understand why. The only thing I can think of is he’s going to the penitentiary. They don’t want to go,” Biggers said.

Elbert has spent time in prison in the past for various charges including drug possession, possession of stolen property and unauthorized use of a vehicle.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter