This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Warning: The story below contains graphic content. Viewer discretion is advised.

BETHANY, Okla. – Oklahoma authorities plan to hold a press conference this week to discuss a horrific murder case that rocked the community.

On Oct. 13, 2011, officers were called to the Homeland store on N.W. 23rd St. after receiving numerous reports of a foul odor.

When they arrived, investigators found a black bag with a severed human head and other dismembered body parts inside.

Shortly after the discovery, authorities learned the body belonged to 19-year-old Carina Brianne Saunders.

Carina Saunders
Carina Saunders

Throughout the investigation, officials learned Saunders may have been tortured and killed at an abandoned house in southwest Oklahoma City before her body was dumped in Bethany.

Court documents detailed how one suspect, Jimmy Massey, who was already in the county jail on drug charges, told another inmate “he was involved in the homicide and described the fact that they cut the girl’s arms and legs off.”

Officials said he hand wrote a letter to another inmate “describing what parts of the body were dismembered and perhaps more importantly, how the body was wrapped prior to disposal.”

Two witnesses also implicated Luis Ruiz in the horrific murder.

Police spoke with another girl who was reportedly with Saunders at the time of her murder.

That girl told investigators she “witnessed Ruiz physically beat Carina Saunders and then tie her up. That he drug her to an upstairs room and tied her to a small table… that he then cut off her left foot and then tried to cut off her right foot when the saw broke.”

That girl reportedly jumped out a window to escape.

3500 S. Harvey - Where Carina Saunders was murdered
3500 S. Harvey – The abandoned home where Carina Saunders was murdered. The home has since been torn down.

Another woman, who said she was in a hotel room with Ruiz, said she saw video of the homicide on his cell phone.

In July 2012, Ruiz and Massey were both officially charged with first-degree murder.

For eight months, Ruiz and Massey remained in police custody before the charges were dropped.

Ruiz and Massey were both released from jail.

Jimmy Massey and Luis Ruiz
Jimmy Massey and Luis Ruiz

District attorney David Prater dismissed the murder charges without prejudice.

That means the charges can be re-filed against the suspects in the future.

“This dismissal means they’re having all sorts of problems with the case and with witnesses,” attorney David Slane said at the time the charges were dismissed.

Attorney Slane represented one woman who claimed to have witnessed Saunders’ death but later recanted.

Slane pointed out the dismissal does not mean Ruiz and Massey are free from suspicion.

“The district attorney’s office is free to re-file at a later time if they choose, but at this time they’re looking for more evidence to support those charges,” Slane said in 2013.

The OSBI continues to investigate the horrific murder case.

Officials with the OSBI plan to hold a press conference Wednesday, a day before the five-year-anniversary of Saunders’ death, to announce a substantial reward in the case and discuss what investigators need from the public.

KFOR is following the case and will release new information as soon as it is available.

MORE: Full coverage of Carina Saunders’ murder and the investigation