Man arrested after alleged road rage attack involving gun, knife and baseball bat

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY – A southwest Oklahoma City man has been arrested on assault charges after causing a road incident, threatening a man and a woman with a gun and a knife and beating the man with a metal baseball bat. It happened around 9 a.m. Friday near SW 44th and S Penn.

“We’ve been married 25 years, and I thought I just lost my husband over some idiot,” Melissa Sperbeck told News 4.

The Sperbecks told News 4 the bizarre encounter happened so fast.

“This chick is swerving. I said she almost hit me. I thought it was a woman and, so, I continue on and, next thing I know, we’re both going and he’s zooming up at me, swerving at me and I look over, my husband leans up, about that time he goes, he’s waving a ball bat at you. I’m like what?” Melissa said.

Then, the suspect followed them into a nearby parking lot, hit a parking bumper and then continued following them into the parking lot of a nearby abandoned building.

“He ends up coming in the store parking lot, jumping out of his car with the car still going, he ends up hitting the building and he comes at her side first with the baseball bat,” John Sperbeck said.

Trying to protect his wife, John said he jumped out of the car and walked up to the suspect.

“I kept coming at him like this, and he kept backing off and I’d come at him like this, and he’d back off and he don’t really want none, go away and I started to go back, and that’s when he come back and hit me with the baseball bat and that’s when I tackled him to the ground and took the baseball bat away,” he said.

John was hit hard with the metal bat in the head and the elbow, landing him in the ER.

“We don’t even know why. I don’t know if he was drugged. I don’t know if he’s not right in his mind. I don’t know what it was,” Melissa said.

The Sperbecks said the suspect, 45-year-old Devon Cortez Green, also threatened them with a knife and pointed a gun at them before he was arrested by police on scene.

Green has a lengthy criminal past with a long list of drug charges from 2007-2019 that landed him in prison. He is currently on probation for a drug charge from back in February.

As for the Sperbecks, they’re feeling thankful and lucky to be alive.

“Lucky. Real lucky. Lucky he didn’t start shooting at us,” John said.

Green was booked into the Oklahoma County Jail for assault and battery charges. He has since bonded out.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter