Oklahoma City police officers talk about saving child from burning building

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

OKLAHOMA CITY - Two brave police officers saved a little boy from a burning apartment building in northwest Oklahoma City this week.

It was a chaotic scene at the Brownstone Apartments, near N.W. 28th and May, on Thursday.

A fire broke out at the complex around 3 a.m.

"Right off the bat we could see fire and smoke coming out of the building," said Officer Anthony Glover.

Officer Anthony Glover was one of the first on the scene, Sergeant Dave Hollis just seconds behind.

They even beat the fire department to the scene.

"The front of the building had a lot of thick smoke, it was completely black," said Sgt. Dave Hollis.

The officers started beating on doors, trying to wake up any sleeping residents.

That's when they heard residents were trapped on the second floor.

They forced their way to the back side of the building and broke through a picket fence to reach the victims.

"That's when we started seeing people in the back upstairs hearing people screaming," said Sgt. Dave Hollis.

They found a frantic mom, Takia Harding, fearing for her son's safety.

"I open the door, the flames and the smoke just, so I slammed the door, and I was like 'Momma, get up,'" said Takia Harding.

Harding said she went into survival mode, throwing cushions and blankets out their second story window, hoping to create a safe landing for them to jump.

Moments later, police were yelling from below.

"I was like 'Can you please catch my son out this window? Please get my son,' and they caught my son," Harding said.

Harding dropped her two-year-old son from the second story of the apartment complex into the officers' hands.

"She said, 'Catch my baby!' So we got under there and said ok, let go and just waited," the officer remembered. "She kind of hung there for a second and we said 'let go, we got him, we got him' and she dropped him down and we caught him."

Catching babies is not something these officers are trained for, but they did what they had to do.

"We just knew we had to catch him, don't drop him, do whatever you can to make sure we do catch him," said Glover.

The officers' bravery that saved the two-year-old boy, Tyree.

Harding was then rescued by firefighters.

"I'm glad everyone is walking away with smiles on their face because it could have been a very different story," Glover said. "I'm just thankful she had the guts to trust us with her child."

Fire investigators believe the cause of the fire was due to a candle left burning.

A total of eight units were damaged in the fire, four of them destroyed.

Many families are displaced.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ
graphic of the Red Cross

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter