OKLAHOMA CITY - Christine Clay’s husband had just taken some bacon out of the microwave when smoke started billowing.
“We heard some sizzling and then to me, it was a pop,” said Clay. “At first I didn’t see the flames and when we opened the cabinet doors and stuff that’s when the flames started coming out the top.”
Clay tried to douse the flames while her husband ran to the garage to cut the electricity.
She watched as the fire started melting her plants over the cabinets.
“As the greenery and stuff started melting and catching that’s when the panic kind of set in for me because I was like ok, if that stuff goes, we’re in really big trouble,” said Clay.
They managed to put out the fire before firefighters arrived, but the damage is extensive.
A cleaning company spent four days going over every little thing inside the house because of the smoke damage.
All the walls will have to be repainted.
“Every rug, every curtain, every item of clothing,” Clay said.
Four days after their fire, Clay learned Whirlpool was recalling more than 15,000 microwaves because of the fire hazard.
The company has had 5 reports, including one home fire, two fires involving the surrounding cabinets, one report of smoke and one report of a burning odor.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission posted that the hazard was internal arcing that can ignite an internal plastic component.
Clay hopes other people with Whirlpool microwaves pay attention to see if they’re part of the recall.
“People are out there and they’re using these so if it’s popping or anything like that, just that simple pop which we paid no attention to and turned our back,” said Clay.
Whirlpool posted that consumers with one of the recalled microwaves should immediately stop using it, unplug the unit and contact them for a free replacement product.