Oklahoma Man gets stuck paying Uncle Sam twice

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. - It's that stressful time of year again. It's time to pay Uncle Sam. However, what if you ended up paying your taxes twice?

That's what happened to Jordan Gilbert and potentially hundreds of other Oklahomans.

"I was panicking this morning," said Gilbert.

He looked at his bank account and saw $917 was gone. Not just once, but it the Tax Commission has now taken the amount out twice.

"I almost thought I was still dreaming," said Gilbert.

The nightmare started when he filed his state taxes online. The Tax Commission was supposed to take the money he owed out of his bank account on Feb. 18, but it came out Thursday.

He called The Tax Commission. The answer he says the employee gave him: "There was a glitch in the system. That the glitch had caused all of the scheduled returns to post pretty much immediately," said Gilbert.

The Tax commission was supposed to put the money back into his account.
Instead, it deducted the amount again, leaving him even deeper in debt.

"I know I was not the only person affected. A lot of people across the state are facing negative amounts in their bank accounts especially when they have groceries to buy or bills due," said Gilbert.

Now, the Tax Commission works to find out exactly how many Oklahomans woke up to the mess.

"If i had money debited from my account, it would really concern me," said Spokesperson Paula Ross. "But, we do 1.9 million returns a year, and what we want citizens to know is if they ever have an issue, like say they were debited and they were not supposed to be, they need to contact us."

The Commission says it will pay you back and correct overdraft fees.

"It's really frustrating," said Gilbert. "I wish there were a little bit more fail safes to kind of prevent that from happening."

For now, he's left with no money.

The Tax Commission is working to find out how the system failed. Gilbert says he expect to wait until next Wednesday to get his money back.

To contact the Tax Commission call 405-521-3160.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter