Oklahoma sheriff injured in shootout with manhunt suspect

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

LEEDEY, Okla. - An Oklahoma sheriff was injured in a shootout late Sunday with the man accused of killing two relatives and shooting two police officers.

Michael Vance was wanted for two counts of first-degree murder, unauthorized use of a motor vehicle and for being a felon in possessions of a fire arm.

Last Sunday, two Wellston police officers responded to reports of a disturbance in Lincoln County.

Once they arrived on scene, Michael Vance opened fire, striking the two officers.

Officer Shawn Stewart and Officer Jim Hampton were transported to a hospital to be treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

Officer Shawn Stewart and Officer Jim Hampton.
Officer Shawn Stewart and Officer Jim Hampton.

Vance was wounded during the shootout, but managed to get away in a police vehicle.

A short time later, he allegedly carjacked a man, then shot a woman and made another getaway.

That stolen vehicle was found at Vance's relatives house.

That is also where police discovered that two of Vance's relatives had been murdered.

Ronald and Kay Wilkson were found stabbed and shot.

Based on the stab wounds, authorities said the killer apparently tried to behead Ronald and dismember Kay.

Ronald & Kay Wilkson
Ronald & Kay Wilkson

Vance then allegedly stole the Wilksons' Mitsubishi Eclipse.

Hours later, early Monday morning, he was seen in Sayre where he reportedly shot another person in the leg at a truck stop and took off again.

That was the last known sighting of Vance until the following Sunday afternoon.

Officials had been checking out reports of a possible sighting of Vance near Hammon, Okla. all day.

A perimeter was immediately setup at all north entrances to Ellis County and Dewey County.

Sunday afternoon, authorities say he was spotted but fled from his hiding spot and camp site just north of Hammon.

Michael Vance
Michael Vance

Vance fled in his car but was believed to have been contained within the perimeter, Ellis County Sheriff Shane Booth said.

Around 9:30 p.m., Dewey County Sheriff Clay Sander spotted a flatbed truck dragging a chain behind it that was creating sparks in Leedey, Okla.

The sheriff pulled the vehicle over to warn the driver a fire could start due to the sparks.

The shooting suspect, Vance, was inside the truck.

Officials told KFOR crews that Vance reportedly stole the truck somewhere in Leedey.

After being pulled over, officials say Vance got out of the vehicle and shot Sander in the shoulder and arm.

The officer was transported to an Elk City hospital to be treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

Dewey County Sheriff Clay Sander
Dewey County Sheriff Clay Sander

Authorities say Vance managed to drive away and led Oklahoma Highway Patrol officers on a short pursuit.

Officials say Vance then engaged in a shootout with OHP troopers in Butler, Okla.

That is when he was shot and killed.

Officials are expected to release more information later today.


More Local

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC Bureau

In Your Corner

More In Your Corner

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ
graphic with open for takeout or delivery

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter