Oklahoma sisters relive night they were swept away by flood waters

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Data pix.

SLAUGHTERVILLE, Okla. -- Saturday night, the water came up fast in many areas. Water rescues were taking place across the state. One of those rescues involved two sisters who were swept off the road and caught in raging waters.

It happened down in Slaughterville. Both girls managed to survive, waiting for more than two hours before a rescue crew found them.

It was close to 10:30 p.m. The two women were on a main road in rural Cleveland County when they came upon high water. They got out of their vehicle to see just how high the water was, and to decide if it would be safe to drive through.

They decided it wasn’t safe. They were less than a mile from home when they determined the water was too deep and too fast.

As they headed back to their vehicle, a truck drove by, spraying them with water and creating a wave that knocked them off of their feet and into raging flood waters.

Nikki Wilson, one of the sisters, said, “My 14-year-old daughter was at the house by herself and I just wanted to get home to make sure she was okay.”

Within moments, Nikki managed to grab a small branch and then a gate.

“I locked my legs on to the gate and just held on,” she said.

Nikki's sister, Amber Mills, wasn't as lucky.

“I saw her go by and I screamed her name," Nikki said.

Amber was thrown into a barbed wire fence, leaving her with deep cuts on her hands, her back, her legs and feet.

The water then swept her farther down the road.

“I managed to make it to a telephone pole and I just stayed there,” Amber said.

Separated, the sisters were each wondering if this was the end.

“When I first got swept underwater, that thought came to my mind and I thought 'No, I'm not! Not without a fight,” Nikki said.

For about two hours, they held on until hope appeared in the distance; a rescue team was on the way.

“I stood up and I said, ‘I'm over here. Don't leave. Please help.’ I screamed as loud as I could,” Nikki said.

A boat came, and one by one, they were taken to safety.

“I'm glad they were able to save us and that it didn't cost them their life,” Nikki said.

It's a lesson in the power of water these former lifeguards don't take lightly.

Incredibly, Nikki was actually able to walk away with only a scraped knee and bruised thigh.

But these two older sisters of NewsChannel 4 reporter Chellie Mills will both make a full recovery.

Report a typo

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC Bureau

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter