Oklahoma veteran receiving help after home destroyed by fire

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MUSKOGEE, Okla.  – An Oklahoma veteran is fighting to get back on his feet after a fire destroyed his home.

Shawn Messer says he thought that his life was finally going in the right direction.

He recently went through a divorce and was homeless before getting an apartment at the Fair Haven Manor.

“I was enjoying my life, having my own apartment, just knowing that I did this,” he said.

However, that all changed on Thursday when a fire consumed Messer’s apartment at the Fair Haven Manor.

“It just made me sick to my stomach,” Shawn Messer told KJRH. “My heart dropped, everything went black.”

Messer, a Marine Corps veteran, volunteers at a veterans recovery facility called ‘The Barracks’ in Muskogee. The organization relies on veterans helping others in need by painting and making home repairs.

When volunteers at the facility learned about the fire, they knew they had to help one of their own.

“Shawn is one of those individuals who has given so much to us and it’s the least we can do to help him back,” said Victor Lezama, director and founder of ‘The Barracks.’

Immediately, volunteers rushed to Messer’s apartment and salvaged what they could find.

Officials say Messer will be able to stay at ‘The Barrack’s and watch over the building.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ
graphic of the Red Cross

Latest News

More News

Popular

KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter