“One mistake can take someone’s life,” Teen dies from allergic reaction after eating at restaurant

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BEMIDJI, Minn. – A Minnesota family has filed a lawsuit against a restaurant for what they call a ‘fatal mistake.’

“He could light up a room,” Cindy Johnson said.

Scott Johnson was known for his bright smile and adventurous attitude.

He also suffered from a severe dairy allergy since birth.

“Every time I would pick something up, when I was shopping with my parents, I’d look at the label and be like, ‘Can Scott have this?” said Jaris Johnson, Scott’s sister.

“Things that you wouldn’t even imagine have dairy in them,” said Cindy Johnson, Scott’s mother.

Small traces of dairy would be enough to send him to the emergency room.

The family says eating at a restaurant became rare and would always be done with caution.

“If it wasn’t right, we didn’t eat until his was right,” said Steve Johnson, Scott’s father.

Last June, Scott’s sisters wanted to treat their mom and brother to breakfast at a cafe.

“We didn’t have to wait for a table. They knew us by name,” Cindy said.

According to court documents, Cindy asked the server if the restaurant’s gluten-free pancakes were also dairy free.

After checking with the cook, the server said they were.

Cindy says she told the server that the restaurant’s grill would have to be cleaned before her son’s pancakes were made.

Scott ate two pancakes and everyone thought they were fine.

“He had just finished and he said, ‘We have to go now,” Cindy said.

Scott forgot to bring his epipen and nebulizer to the restaurant, which were both used to open his lungs and help him through an allergic reaction.

The family got home, but the medications were not working.

“I was 18 miles off the highway when I got the call,” said Steve Johnson.

Two hours away, Steve got word that his son was being airlifted to a hospital.

“Hardest thing for me was I didn’t even get to talk to him,” he said.

Doctors told his parents that Scott had suffered such a severe anaphylactic reaction that his heart had failed.

Scott died three days later.

“16 years, that’s too short,” Steve said.

“I miss him just as much today as the day after,” Cindy said.

The family is now sharing their story to hope that it will prevent other deadly mistakes from happening.

“Just one mistake can take someone’s life,” Cindy said.

See a mistake? Report a typo here.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

More News

National News

More U.S. & World

Washington D.C.

More Washington

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Daily Oklahoma Coronavirus Data


Contact In Your Corner Team

Latest News

More News

KFOR Digital Originals

More Digital Original

Follow @KFOR on Twitter