Parents calling for more security after teen says she was jumped following school basketball game

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

OKLAHOMA CITY - A metro teen says she was jumped following a middle school basketball game.

Now, her parents are speaking out, saying there should have been security at the game.

It all happened Monday night after a Capps Middle School game.

Putnam City Public School officials say they are investigating, checking out surveillance video and talking to students.

However, this teen's parents say the problem comes down to a lack of security.

Rodney Smith, the victim's father, said, "When they hit her in the head, she went down."

He said, "She said they were stomping on her."

This teen, whose parents have asked that we not show her face or use her name, says she was leaving the game when someone jumped her.

She's now back home with a few bumps and an injured ankle.

Her dad says he's not going to stand for what happened.

Smith said, "It's middle school. "

He says the crowd at the game was out of control.

He said, "Some of the parents started getting to the point where they were going out onto the court, yelling at the coaches, they were cussing out the kids."

School officials say they do typically have security on hand, but they say Monday night the security officials were not able to be at the game.

Smith and his daughter spent most of the night at the hospital getting her injuries checked out.

They say it's disappointing to think something like this happened after a middle school basketball game.

Smith said, "It's just a game, man."

Smith and his daughter have filed a police report.

We have confirmed with Warr Acres police that a report was filed; however, at this time the report is not approved for release.

Putnam City School Spokesperson Steve Lindley released this statement regarding the issue:

"KFOR reporter Chellie Mills contacted the district Tuesday for information regarding an alleged injury to a student at or near Capps Middle School following a basketball game on Monday night. The school and school district are concerned about the health and safety of this student and all students, and take extensive precautions to make sure they are safe.

Students can only be kept safe when they are under supervision. Coaches and administrators know to never leave a student at a game site if he or she has not been picked up by parents, and they did not do so Monday night. Reports from friends and classmates of the student, parents of classmates, coaches and school administrators make it clear the student did not call her parents for a ride; did not ask to use a phone in the coach’s office; declined the safety of a ride from the parent of a teammate; chose to leave the safety of the gym and school personnel; and chose to walk alone in the dark to a restaurant about a third of a mile away.

Because there is still important additional information to gather, the district is disappointed in KFOR’s decision to air this story. Video from school cameras outside the building is still being searched. The municipal police report is not yet available. School officials checked on the student early this morning and met with parents, but because the student did not come to school today, school officials have not had a chance to talk with her. A story with full information is what serves the community best, and neither KFOR or the school district has that information at this moment.

The district continues to take this matter very seriously and is gathering all available information in order to fulfill our role in keeping students safe."

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC Bureau

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Don't Miss

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter