Police: Baby “had lived in hell for a year,” parents arrested on murder charges

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GREENFIELD, Ind. (WXIN) – The parents of a 1-year-old child are facing neglect and murder charges following the death of the toddler.

On Thursday, investigators were called to a home about an unconscious child.

According to court documents, the 1-year-old Zoey had a cut to her forehead, several bruises across her face and body and was foaming at the mouth.

The mother previously told WXIN that Zoey was dropped earlier in the week by a babysitter and rolled off a bed on Thursday.

However, court documents tell a different story.

Authorities say the child died from blunt force trauma and the manner of death was ruled a homicide.

The autopsy revealed that Zoey had cuts, bruising and hemorrhaging to the face, lips, neck, buttocks and abdomen.

The toddler also had severe internal injuries to her intestines, pancreas and liver.

Also, officials say both of the girl’s arms had been broken.

Court documents claim that Matthew Wagoner sent a text to his wife, Jessica, saying that Zoey fell off the bed and stopped breathing.

After that, authorities claim Wagoner walked to a nearby convenience store to get a drink.

Documents say Wagoner told police that he didn’t think his daughter was dead but knew something was wrong.

In order to get to the store, Wagoner walked past a hospital and didn’t stop for help.

Jessica told police that she didn’t trust Matthew around her children because he has pending child exploitation charges in a neighboring county, court documents claim.

However, the couple blamed each other for Zoey’s death.

“Matthew stated that he saw Jessica smack Z.W. twice on Thursday morning… Matthew stated he heard Z.W. gasp for air when Jessica punched her,” court documents read.

The investigator in the case wrote that Zoey “had lived in hell for a year, due to all of the multiple injuries throughout the year.”

Matthew and Jessica Wagoner appeared in court on Tuesday.

See a mistake? Report a typo here.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC Bureau

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter